2.25.2011

Chocolate Coffee Truffle Cake with Chocolate Ganache




My husband and I don't go out for Valentine's Day.  We don't exchange ooey-gooey cards, either.  I hate crowds and lines and overpriced grub.  Our tradition is to stay at home, put the kids to bed early, light some candles, and create a restaurant-worthy meal for cheap.  The Hubs is not a big fan of desserts (unlike me) so I made something I wanted.



My first experience with a cake like this was in France.  I was walking to my local butcher in Paris and glanced in the shiny window of a pâtisserie I had passed by a million times before.  The sweets are on display like diamonds in a jewelry store. They are beautifully wrapped, ribboned, nestled, and drizzled.  I saw a cake - a gorgeous ebony disc with glossy liquid chocolate atop.  I had to have it. NOW.  My first bite was heaven.

This is technically called a cake, but that gives one the impression of fluffy, airy... well... cake. Not the case here, friends.  This cake is thick and very chocolatey with some powerful coffee undertones.  However, if you're not a coffee fan, not to worry. This can be made without the coffee and it is just as delicious.  Oh, and did I mention it's flourless?  That's right!  So you gluten-free fans can rejoice!

You'll notice the ganache is drippy.  I prefer mine a bit runny but feel free to cut back on the amount of cream used to make a thicker glaze for your cake.  The cake is has a bittersweet chocolate flavor so the ganache cuts the bitterness, but feel free to omit.

Chocolate Coffee Truffle Cake with Chocolate Ganache

1/2 c. brewed coffee or water                        
1/4 t. salt                                                             
3/4 c. sugar                                                       
18 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1 c. butter, cut into chunks
6 eggs 
cocoa powder, for dusting
Ganache:
1 c. heavy cream
16 oz. milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 300*.  Grease one 10-inch springform pan.  Lightly dust with cocoa powder.   Wrap the springform pan exterior in a double layer of heavy duty wide aluminum foil.

In a small saucepan, combine the coffee, salt, and sugar over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.

Microwave the bittersweet chocolate at 15-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.  Pour into the bowl of an electric mixer.  With the mixer running at medium-low speed, add the butter to the chocolate, one piece at a time.  Once fully incorporated, add the coffee mixture and mix.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time until completely mixed together.

Pour the chocolate mixture into the springform pan.  Place in a roasting pan and fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach half-way up the sides of the springform pan.

Bake for 45 minutes.  Allow to cool on a wire rack until room temperature then chill in the refrigerator.

When ready to serve, heat cream in small saucepan until tiny bubbles form around the edges.  Pour hot cream over the milk chocolate chips in a bowl.  Allow to sit for 2 minutes, then gently stir to melt the chocolate.  Remove springform pan ring and place cake on a serving platter.  Pour ganache over the top of the cake, allowing it to drip over the edges.

4 comments:

Katie McGarry said...

Um...Why haven't you made this for me yet?

Sue said...

I see that you used butter in this recipe. Well, I have found the best tasting butter ever! It reminds me of butter from years ago. It's called Kerrygold Butter and is imported from Ireland. I found it at Sam's Club. It's a bit pricey and maybe not make a difference in baking, but on a warm roll or baguette, it's delicious!

Bren said...

Thank You for posting such a delicious recipe!
Shan, you are the best chef & baker, hands down!
You've done such a tremendous job sharing your tips, recipes, etc., and always dedicate 110% into everything you set out to do, and I've always admired that in you. I also want to Thank You for sharing some of your wonderful recipes with me through the years-I would never have taken the leap into the wonderful world of cooking had it not been for you taking the time and having the patience to teach me, so THANKS, friend. Keep this great stuff coming! I have so many happy memories and look forward to many more.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

This looks incredible!