3.10.2011

Candied Bacon


I adore bacon. The scent of bacon popping in a skillet takes me back to being a wee one in the kitchen with my mom, stirring pancake batter for Sunday morning breakfast. All of a sudden I am back at my grandparent's home, watching my grandpa slicing potatoes for his famous fried potatoes (recipe to come!) and flipping bacon in his cast iron skillet. What do you think of when you dream of bacon? Salty, crispy, chewy, smoky? How about sweet and sticky? Candied Bacon is a twist on an old favorite.

I developed this recipe after one of my serious cravings for bacon, which happens quite often, I must admit. I was in the mood for sweet bacon. What pairs well with bacon (besides everything)? Maple syrup! I set to work and came up with this recipe for Candied Bacon and it is truly impossible to eat just one slice.

I use center-cut bacon because I've found it fits better in the baking dish and it's healthier. Whatever you do, use pure maple syrup, not the fake maple-flavored corn syrup stuff.



Candied Bacon

6-8 slices thick sliced, center-cut bacon
2/3 c. pure maple syrup

Pre-heat oven to 400*.  Arrange bacon slices in a 9 x 13 baking dish.


Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and drain off fat. I also blot the bacon with paper towels to absorb as much grease as possible. Reduce oven temp to 350* and put bacon back in dish, then pour maple syrup over slices. Bake 30-40 minutes or until liquid and bacon are thick and golden, flipping bacon slices once during cooking.  Remove bacon from dish and place on parchment paper to cool.




Allow to set up. Store in refrigerator between parchment paper. These goodies are sticky!


2 comments:

Eve Fox said...

looks absolutely divine!

Pam said...

This looks amazing!! Must try! I also saw a recipe the other day for chocolate chip cookies with bacon in them. YUM