3.24.2011

Snickerdoodles



Let's be honest - we all love the classic kid-favorite cookie known as the Snickerdoodle.  And we've all had crummy ones (crunchy, flat, cloyingly sweet) and we've had good ones.  This classic sweet treat, a butter cookie with a distinctive crackled cinnamon-sugar top, shouldn't be difficult to get right.  Well, friends, it isn't.  The most difficult part will be not eating all the Snickerdoodle dough before baking the cookies.

Let me just go ahead and address that statement.  I am a cookie dough addict.  I have been known to throw caution to the Salmonella wind and eat raw dough by the fist-full, and (gasp!) I do allow my kids to do the same.  I know this goes against everything we've been taught for the last decade plus. In reality, the U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates only 1 in 30,000 eggs will be contaminated with Salmonella.  I haven't had a problem yet, and until I do, I'll keep on enjoying my raw dough.

These Snickerdoodles have a crispy exterior with a light, but not cakey, interior. They are buttery and moist and melt in your mouth.  My mom handed down this recipe and I've not changed it one bit - except I never seem to be able to get a full yield of cookies because I eat half the dough.

Snickerdoodles

1 c. butter
1-3/4 c. sugar, divided
2 eggs
2-3/4 c. flour
2 t. cream of tartar
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 T. cinnamon

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, 1-1/2 c. sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy.  In a separate bowl, whisk flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.  Add flour mixture to butter mixture and slowly mix until just combined. Chill dough in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 400*.  In a shallow dish, mix remaining 1/4 c. sugar and cinnamon. Form dough into 1" balls.  Roll balls in cinnamon sugar.


Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheet (I line mine with parchment paper).


Bake 7-10 minutes or until very light golden brown on top.  Allow to sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes then remove to cool on wire rack.

1 comment:

BRENDA C said...

Just made your famous Snickerdoodles this week. OMG! They are simply the BEST! Mine never seem to taste as good as yours though. This is a great recipe.