4.11.2011

Shredded Slow-Cooked Pork Tacos


So you've made Puerco Pibil and have lots of leftover shredded pork goodness. What to do with all that meat?  I make tacos and they're damn good, if I do say so. They're so good, in fact, that I can't decide if I prefer the traditional way of eating it with white rice, diced tomatoes, and fresh cilantro or piled in toasted corn tortillas topped with other bold flavors.  I've got an idea!  Why don't you, friends, try both methods of consumption and let me know which you prefer?


There's not much of a need for a "recipe" I suppose.  You can use anything you want to stuff your tortilla.  We usually crumble Queso Fresco on top.  Notice there's no lettuce in these tacos - but some crunchy shredded cabbage would be delicious.


Shredded Slow-Cooked Pork Tacos
Serves 4

12 corn tortillas
2-3 c. shredded pork (from Puerco Pibil)
2 avacados, peeled & diced
2 roma tomatoes, diced
8 oz. aged sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or Queso Fresco)
handful fresh cilantro leaves
lime wedges for serving
hot sauce, for serving

Pre-heat broiler.  Heat the pork in a saucepan over medium-low heat, covered. Meanwhile, place the tortillas in a single layer on a sheet pan.  Broil tortillas, flipping each one as the top side toasts to a speckled light brown.  Alternatively, you can toast your corn tortillas over a gas burner, flipping with tongs.  When the tortillas are done toasting, immediately bend them into a taco shape.  Depending on how "toasty" you like your tortillas, they set up and harden fairly quickly.

Fill your shells with the pork and remaining ingredients as desired.  Eat tacos and you lick your fingers and sip your beer.

5 comments:

Katie McGarry said...

Beautiful pictures Shannon. You're making me hungry.

The Mommy Therapy said...

This looks amazing. I am roasting a pork this week...any chance I could just use some of that meat, because now I have to have some tacos. Delicious!

Shannon Marie said...

Katie: Thanks for the compliment! The tacos are delicious!

The Mommy Therapy: Absolutely use that leftover roast! You can add some taco seasonings (chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, etc.) to spice it up. Let me know how it goes!

charlottesvillesybarite said...

Yummmmm, this is one of my favorite street tacos from San Diego. Now that I'm on the East Coast it's just not the same. I now make it at home with homeslaw, awesome!

Shannon Marie said...

Charlottesville - I totally understand. My husband is from California and I have family out there so we greatly miss our taco trucks from Cali.