5.02.2011

Gorditas de Heuvos - Masa Cakes With Eggs


In honor of Cinco de Mayo this week, I decided to make something very Mexican.  I don't know about you, but I get so sick of the Tex-Mex stuff people try to pass off as Mexican food.  Gorditas de Huevos is a delicious way to celebrate the 5th of May.




These masa cakes are super easy to make, and the scrambled eggs are flavored with chiles and garlic.  They make a great breakfast or snack.


Because I prefer my foods blow-your-head-off spicy, I added my favorite hot sauce, Tapatio to mine.  After I shot the photos, I added more.


Gorditas de Huevos - Masa Cakes With Eggs
Makes 6

2 c. masa harina (available in Latino markets)
1 t. kosher salt
2 dried new Mexico chilies, stemmed and seeded
2 cloves garlic
6 eggs, lightly beaten

In a medium bowl, stir masa harina, salt, and 1-1/4 c. water until dough forms.  Set aside for 5 minutes.  Divide the dough into six - 3 oz. balls.  Flatten them into 1/4" thick disks with your hands.  If you find the edges are too crumbly as you make the disks, toss the dough back in the bowl and add a few tablespoons of water until you get a moister consistancy.


In a 10" non-stick skillet, heat the chilies over high heat, turning, until lightly charred and roasted.  Throw them in a blender with the garlic and 1/2 cup water.  Zip that mixture until it is reddish in color and the chilies are throughout the sauce.  Pour the sauce in the non-stick skillet and add the eggs.  Cook over medium heat until cooked through.

Meanwhile, heat a 12" cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the masa disks in batches, season with salt to taste, and cook, turning once until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes.

Pile gorditas high with the scrambled egg mixture and douse with hot sauce, if you'd like.


Adapted from Saveur magazine May '11

1 comment:

The Mommy Therapy said...

These look delicious!

Please fly to Austin and make these for me as soon as possible, I don't think I'll be motivated for cooking all week.

We had cereal for dinner tonight...parenting tragedy.