5.04.2011

Mint Julep


They say the Kentucky Derby is the "most exciting 2 minutes in sports."  I've news for you, friends.  The Mint Julep is the most exciting reward for 2 minutes worth of work.

I had my first Mint Julep 6 years ago at Churchill Downs.  The cool, refreshing drink had instantly become my new favorite adult beverage.  The smokey, vanilla, oak-y flavor of the bourbon mixed with the fresh, crisp mint was mind-blowing.  And you don't have to like bourbon to enjoy this drink.  There are several methods for mixing this cocktail out there, some of which are good, some of which are garbage.  I have been making Mint Juleps for years now and this is the most authentic and delicious I have come up with.

In honor of the Kentucky Derby coming up (this year) on May 7, I start mixing up Mint Juleps as soon as the fresh mint hits the markets.  Mint Julep is the drink associated with the Kentucky Oaks (racing of 3-year old fillies) and the Kentucky Derby (racing of 3-year old Thoroughbred horses) that takes place each May.  In fact, over 120,000 Mint Juleps are sold on those two days alone at Churchill Downs.


Because there are so few ingredients in the Mint Julep, please use high-quality stuff. You absolutely must use fresh mint leaves, preferably Kentucky Colonel Mint.  And under no circumstances can you use cheap bourbon.  Some examples of great bourbon are: Woodford Reserve, Early Times, Old Forrester, Evan Williams, Maker's Mark, and Knob Creek.  I could go on and on but I'll save my bourbon rant for another post.



Mint Julep
Makes 2 cocktails

1/4 c. water
1/4 c. sugar
12 fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish
6 oz. bourbon
ice

Mix water and sugar in a small saucepan set over medium heat.  Stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved.  Set simple syrup aside to cool.

Place 6 mint leaves in each highball glass.  Using a muddler, bruise and mash the mint leaves very well.  If you don't have a muddler, you can sprinkle a small amount of granulated sugar on the mint leaves and use the handle of a wooden spoon to mash the leaves.

Pour 1-3 tablespoons of the simple syrup into each glass.  I prefer 2 tablespoons myself.  Pour 3 ounces bourbon into each glass and stir to combine.  Fill glass with ice and garnish with mint leaves.




Mint Juleps on FoodistaMint Juleps

4 comments:

Peggy said...

This looks like a pretty solid recipe to me! And definitely beats the $10 versions at the track =) But I guess you also pay for the "atmosphere"

Lori said...

Your Mint Juleps are gorgeous! We got some made just in time for the big race. I like to put chopped leaves in the warm syrup and let them steep to give the syrup the mint flavor. Then I add even more. :)

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Alisa said...

I followed you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this mint julep widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about how to make mint julep,Thanks!