5.17.2011

Parmesan Crusted Potatoes and Zucchini


Sadly, I put my French teenage visitor Justine on the plane back to Paris a few weeks ago.  She and I had a wonderful time talking, shopping, and cooking while she was here.  I was so unhappy to say goodbye to my partner in crime. However we made some great memories (and food! - like this French Onion Soup) that we will always remember.  And we will get to see her again next year!

Photo by Justine

As always, she took some amazing photos of the Parmesan Crusted Potatoes and Zucchini we made for lunch one day.


This time, we did not wait impatiently for the meal to be ready - it's actually very quick to make. Justine and I enjoyed photographing the food together and brainstorming good angles and lighting shots.  She even created her own photography blog called Jbhly Photographie.  She's amazing and I'm so proud of her.

Photo by Justine

The Parmesan Crusted Potatoes and Zucchini Ju and I made was incredibly delicious.  The process was simple and easy. The potatoes and zucchini are crispy on the outside and the interior is creamy.

Photo by Justine

The cheese doesn't overwhelm the vegetable's flavors. The herbs and garlic fill the kitchen with enticing warm smells.  As always, please use fresh ingredients - the thyme and rosemary must be fresh and please don't use the "Parmesan" in the green jars. Get the real stuff - you don't need much.



Parmesan Crusted Potatoes and Zucchini
Serves 4 for a side -or- 2 for a meal

4 small new potatoes, about 1-1/2 inches in diameter
2 T. butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 t. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch chunks
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Over high heat, bring a medium pot of water to a boil.  Add the potatoes and cook until tender 10-15 minutes.  Drain the potatoes and let cool.  Cut potatoes in half.

In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add the butter, garlic, thyme, and rosemary.  Heat until the butter melts.

Meanwhile, sprinkle salt and pepper over the cut sides of the zucchini and potatoes.

Carefully place vegetables cut side down in the pan with the melted butter. Cook until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.

Pre-heat the broiler.  Line a sheet pan with foil.  Place the vegetables cut side up on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with Parmesan.  Broil until cheese is melted and golden, about 4 minutes.

Adapted from Giada de Laruentiis's Giada's Kitchen

Photo by Justine

5 comments:

Faith said...

That looks delicious.

Markus said...

When you make these recipes, can you tell us how long it is from the time you hand goes onto the refrigerator handle until the time the food goes into your mouth? That might influence me to try this myself on some of these recipes. I know some of the things I cook require me to thaw the TV dinner before I microwave it.

Shannon Marie said...

Great idea, Markus. This specific recipe took about 30 minutes start to finish. The prep work can often be done while other things are cooking. Time to get away from those sodium-laden, preservative-filled TV dinners! If you like potatoes and zucchini (really you could sub out other veggies), you should give this one a try.

Elle said...

I'd like a bowl of this right now! So simple, and yet, I can tell--it's got to be fantastic. Looking forward to trying soon!

Peggy said...

These look delicious! I don't think I would initially think to put potatoes and zucchini together, but I see how well they work here! And lucky for me... I've got both in stock =)