6.17.2011

Baja Burgers

 

There's this dude named Noah that I've secretly fallen in love with.  He's one of those bad-boy hot guys that have a rough exterior but a teddy bear heart.  My husband has no idea that I have been dreaming of Noah but I don't think he'll mind.  See, Noah isn't real.  No, I'm not schizophrenic.  He's a character in Katie McGarry's soon-to-be-published book Pushing the Limits.



Not only is Katie one of my best friends, but she's an amazing author.  She graciously allowed me to be a beta reader for her (which means I get to read it before anyone else does.  Na na na na boo boo!)  I give her honest feedback on her writing in exchange for an early view of this amazing book.  Pushing the Limits  is about two teens, brought together by their court ordered therapist, working together to learn the secrets of their case files, but neither foresaw the shattering consequences of the learning the truth regarding their families or of falling in love. Pushing the Limits is due out in Spring 2012 and I can't bloody wait.

Back to Noah.  He is a total hottie who can make a mean burger.  And Katie and I are fairly certain he would love this burger.

Baja Burgers are loaded with Tex-Mex-y flavor.  By the way, I posted the guacamole recipe in a previous post if you'd like to see it by itself.  These burgers are juicy, creamy, hot, cool, spicy, mild, and crunchy all at once.  I'm aware that it sounds kind of strange.  Some may say "gross" or "ewwww."  Don't worry, my feelings are not hurt.  My friends had the same reaction, but thankfully they're adventurous and trusting and gave it a shot.  Now, I am uninvited if these Baja Burgers don't take center stage.



Baja Burgers
Serves 4, with guacamole leftover for chips
The guacamole recipe can be found here.

1-1/3 lb. 85% lean ground beef
cumin
chili powder
salt and pepper
4 avocados
2 limes
1/3 c. diced red onion
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 large jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, ribs removed and minced
1 t. cumin
1 t. salt
cilantro, chopped, to taste (optional)
salsa, homemade or jarred
sour cream
tortilla chips
4 hamburger buns
 
Form ground beef into 4 patties, making a slight indentation in the center of each patty to allow for the puff-up as they always do.  Season with salt and pepper.  Generously season with cumin and chili powder.  Set aside at room temperature.

Halve avocados and remove pit.  An easy way to do this is to hold the avocado in your palm, and carefully take a knife and chop/stab the seed with the edge of the knife. Scoop out the flesh from the skin with a spoon into a large bowl.  Squeeze limes over avocados adding the juice.  Using a potato masher, smash the avocados until the desired consistency.  Add onion, tomato, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, salt, and cilantro, if using,  and mix well. To store leftovers (good luck with that!), place a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface of guac and refrigerate. 

Grill burgers, flipping once without smashing them down, until desired doneness.  Meanwhile, grill buns until golden and toasty. 

Top burgers with guacamole, sour cream, salsa, and tortilla chips.  Get a few napkins handy because you're gonna need them.


To find out more about Katie McGarry and her upcoming books being published, check out these links.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

This is my dream burger! I can find burgers like this a lot in California, where I grew up, but I certainly miss them around here. I don't know why I never thought to make one for myself at home, though! This looks delicious!

Katie McGarry said...

I so want to try this burger!

Peggy said...

I'll definitely be keeping this book in mind for suggesting to my book club!

And these burgers sound absolutely heavenly... I can't resist a burger with guac =)

briarrose said...

What a burger...I do believe I'm in love. ;)