6.04.2011

Garden - Worm Castings


This photo is not of soil or compost.  What you're looking at is worm poop.  Yes, people actually make a living harvesting and selling worm crap.  I've never used it before but I was so curious I just had to try it out.  I bought a bag from my local organic supply center.  I paid around $13 for my sack of crap.

Worm castings, or vermicast, are high in nutrients for the soil.  In fact, this healthy poop contains up to eleven times the amounts of potassium, phosphorus, and nitrogen found in regular old soil.  It helps aerate the soil as well.  Rumor has it, the plants will benefit greatly from the addition of worm castings, and I am willing to try.

I scooped out one cup of the worm castings and spread it around the base of each plant, working it in the top inch or so.  Next year, I will be sure to add it at the time of planting and work it into the soil as deep as three or four inches.

Pepper plant

I'm also planning on using my leftover vermicast to make worm crap tea.  Doesn't that just sound delicious?  I'll take some pantyhose (which I'll need to purchase since I haven't had those horrible things on my legs since the early 90's) and pour some worm castings into it, tie it off, making a tea bag essentially.  I will leave it in water overnight or for a couple of days and then spray the lovely turd tea over my darling plants.  They will thank me for it, no doubt.  I mean, who wouldn't want a shower of homemade worm diarrhea?

Tomato plant

P.S.  The worm castings don't smell one bit.

No comments: