6.14.2011

Guacamole


Each year, the men in my family all get together and go on a vacation together, called the Mancation.  I'm not sure exactly what they do, and I'm not sure I want to.  I imagine there's a lot of cigar-smoking, beer drinking, and chest-thumping peppered with bathroom humor and colorful language.  My husband loves these annual trips because it's like a big frat party with the coolest men on the planet.

The group was comprised of 3 generations of menfolk - from my brother, the youngest, to my grandpa, the oldest.  Our son is 14 and will be invited into their secret penis club in 4 years.  My grandpa, the most amazing, intelligent, wise man I've ever met, loved these mancations and looked forward them so much.  He loved laughing at the perpetual fun-poking and competitive golfing amongst his sons and their offspring.  Paw-paw passed away in August 2009 at age 89.  He is so incredibly missed by us all and the mancations will never be the same.


I must say that little piece of my life I've just shared has little to do with guacamole, except this: for the last mancation before my grandpa died, I made a huge bucket of guac for the guys and they ate it all the first night. 

Guacamole is one of those super-easy dips that we eat all summer long.  Not only is it much cheaper to make it yourself, it's easy to tweak and make it milder or spicier to your personal tastes.  And for those of you with the special gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, you can omit it.



Guacamole
Makes 2-3 cups (guessing here...)

4 avocados
2 limes
1/3 c. diced red onion
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 large jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, ribs removed and minced
1 t. cumin
1 t. salt
cilantro, chopped, to taste (optional)

Halve avocados and remove pit.  An easy way to do this is to hold the avocado in your palm, and carefully take a knife and chop/stab the seed with the edge of the knife.


Scoop out the flesh from the skin with a spoon into a large bowl.  Squeeze limes over avocados adding the juice.  Using a potato masher, smash the avocados until the desired consistency.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Serve with tortilla chips.  To store any leftovers, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of guacamole and refrigerate.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this post...I would have spit it all over the computer when I read, "secret penis club"! ;-)

I love guacamole! I grew up in southern California, and never went to a party where guacamole wasn't served. My version is very close to yours, but I leave out the garlic and cumin. My husband is a guacamole convert, but his family is a tough crowd--they're afraid of the color!

The Mommy Therapy said...

I am salivating. Guac is my favorite dip. I make a ghetto verson with mashed avocado and pico and can eat a huge bowl all by myself.

Great recipe thanks for sharing!

Shannon Marie said...

Thanks Mindy and The Mommy Therapy! My husband is from So Cal as well and he misses the good Mexican food. Thanks for your comments, ladies!

Christine @knapkins_com said...

Guac is so delicious. I'm jealous just looking at how perfectly ripe they are. Thanks for a sharing!

Cheers

Christine
@knapkins_com