6.01.2011

Roasted Tomato and Goat Cheese Crostini


I'm going to start by saying how much I love our neighbors.  Somehow we built a house on a cul-de-sac surrounded by the most amazing people.  We absolutely love to get together to eat and drink and be merry.  There are a few honorary members of our "frat", whom are included in get-togethers.  We have been known to get rowdy from time to time and one of our favorite things is to ask moral and ethical questions and get into friendly debates on a subject. 

We got together for Memorial Day and this is an appetizer I came up with.  It got rave reviews so I'm going to share the recipe for this easy Roasted Tomato and Goat Cheese Crostini with you, my friends.  This recipe is easily doubled for a large crowd.


Roasted Tomato and Goat Cheese Crostini
Serves 8-10

2 lb. (about 2-1/2 pints) cherry tomatoes
handful thyme sprigs
3 T. olive oil
salt and pepper
8 oz. goat cheese
8 oz. ricotta
1-1/2 T. heavy cream or milk
1 baguette
olive oil
balsamic vinegar

Pre-heat oven to 300*.  On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tomatoes and thyme sprigs with 3 tablespoons olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.


Roast the tomatoes in oven for 1 hour, or until skins burst.  Remove and allow to cool.  Tomatoes can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 3 days.

In a medium bowl, mix together the goat cheese, ricotta, and heavy cream until well combined.  Add additional cream if necessary to get a smooth, spreadable consistency.

Pre-heat broiler.  Slice baguette crosswise into 1/4" pieces.  Place on rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.  Broil until bread is toasted and golden brown.

Spread cheese mixture on crostini and top with roasted tomatoes, being careful to exclude thyme sprigs.  Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

3 comments:

The Mommy Therapy said...

Yum! Now I know what I'm doing with the grape tomatoes we have coming out of our garden!

Mindy said...

Okay, seriously, there are a couple of houses for sale on my street. Would you like to move? This is going on my to-make list asap!

Nicole said...

I love the simplicity of these, not to mention I am so excited to finally start having great summer farmer's market tomatoes again, so I am looking forward to trying this out.