7.02.2011

Cheesy Corn Casserole


So this Cheesy Corn Casserole looks like slop.  So what?  It's amazingly delicious. As some of you may know, I do happen to have a healthy (naturally...) obsession with corn in all forms.  In fact, I've never met a corn I didn't like.  When I saw this recipe, I had to try it.  Plus, it has bacon in it.  I think corn and bacon have this secret love affair going.  The lights dim, Marvin Gaye pipes through the speakers, Mrs. Corn peels back her husks...  Sorry, that got a little creepy.




Normally I have an aversion to anything with Velveeta (see FAQ's about my feelings on fake "foods").  However in this case I made an exception because: A. The main ingredient is CORN.  B. It contains bacon.  C.  The recipe only calls for a small amount.

Cheesy Corn Casserole bakes up cheesy and gooey.  It looks like vomit but it's hella good.

Cheesy Corn Casserole
Serves 12

4 slices bacon, chopped
6 T. butter, cubed
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 c. flour
3 c. milk
4 oz. cream cheese, cubed
2 oz. Velveeta, cubed
2 c. grated extra-sharp cheddar
1 t. paprika
3 lb. fresh or frozen corn
salt and pepper

Pre-heat oven to 375*  Cook bacon in dutch oven until browned.  Without draining, add butter and garlic and cook 1 minute.  Add flour and cook, stirring, another minute.  Whisk in milk and bring to a boil.  Cook, continuously stirring, until thickened.  Add cream cheese, Velveeta, cheddar, and paprika.  Cook and stir until smooth.  Remove from heat and stir in corn.  Season with salt & pepper. Transfer to a 9 x 13 dish and bake until the top is golden brown and bubbling, about 45 minutes.  Let cool a bit before scooping.


Recipe from Saveur magazine June/July 11

3 comments:

The Mommy Therapy said...

Totally looks like slop, but I bet it is amazing. Corn casseroles are simply divine.

If you find yourself wanting to do something different with your corn on the cob, melt a stick of butter, dice a jalapeno and squeeze a lime in to it...doesn't that just sound good?

Shannon Marie said...

TMT - that sounds amazing. I love corn. In all forms. Unfortunately I have veneers on my front teeth so I can't eat right off the cob...usually. Try it sprinkled with Parm too. Yum! BTW, I LOVE your blog. It cracks me up! I've shared it with many of my friends.

Sarah Michelle said...

Put your recipe to me is an astonishing impression. When I saw your recipe Introduction understood it would be a complicated recipe. But i wonder when i scroll down. I have liked your style. A short recipe is explained in detail. A clumsy, inept person can make it easily.