7.17.2011

Cornmeal Biscuits


I am under treatment for a self-diagnosed (have you heard about my ability to diagnose despite the fact that I do not have a degree??) addiction.  This little habit of mine involves eating pretty much anything made from corn.  It's really an obsession.  I love corn on the cob, frozen corn, corn chowder, caramel corn, canned corn, cream corn, corn with bacon, corn fritters, pop corn, hush puppies, cornbread (both northern and southern), polenta, Johnny Cakes, fried corn, corny jokes, Mexican grilled corn, corn casserole, spicy corn, corn in salads, cornbread crumbled into milk, corn dogs, corn muffins, and hominy.


Which brings to mind a funny story.  No one in my family had ever eaten hominy before.  One evening, I opened a can (of whoop ass, then the hominy), heated it up, and had everyone try it.  The smell reminds me of a barn.  Like the feed corn used on a farm plus the odor of manure.  Seriously.  Open a can and you'll see.

So each of my kids dutifully ate one piece of hominy, and my husband bravely took a spoonful.  All at once I hear groans and moans of disgust.  The girls were asking if they could spit it out because it was so gross.  My husband was trying to choke it down but he was literally gagging on his hominy.  He and my son are the two that faithfully eat any and everything without fail, and love it most of the time.  This was different.  All four of them looked like someone had just dropped a deuce in the middle of the floor.  Of course, being the sadistic loon that I am, was doubled over in laughter, tears streaming down my face as I watched my family suffer. See, told you I was sick.

Back to corn.  Although I could (and sometimes do) eat corn for every meal, sometimes I'm craving a good biscuit too.  The recipe for Cornmeal Biscuits is the best of both worlds.  You get the buttery flakiness of a biscuit and the corn flavor of cornbread.  The trick is to soak the cornmeal in the buttermilk which softens it enough to eliminate any graininess.  If you don't have buttermilk, you can stir 1 tablespoon lemon juice into 1-1/4 cup milk and let sit 10 minutes.  Cornmeal Biscuits are easy enough to whip up to accompany a meal and you won't have your family gagging in disgust.

Cornmeal Biscuits
Makes 12

1 c. cornmeal
1-1/4 c. buttermilk
1 T. honey
2 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
12 T. butter, cold, cut into pieces

Pre-heat oven to 450*.  Line baking sheet with parchment.

Whisk cornmeal, buttermilk, and honey in a large bowl.  Set aside for 10 minutes.


Pulse flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and butter in food processor until mixture looks like coarse meal.



Add flour mixture to the bowl with the buttermilk and stir to form dough.


Knead dough on a lightly floured surface 8-10 times until smooth.  Pat dough into 9-inch circle, about 3/4-inch thick.



Use a 2-1/2 inch biscuit cutter dipped in flour to cut out biscuits and transfer to baking sheet.  Pat out remaining dough and continue cutting until it's gone.

Bake 5 minutes, then turn down oven to 400*.  Bake 8-12 minutes until golden brown.  Let cool 5 minutes on sheet, then on wire rack.  Serve warm or room temp.


Recipe from Cook's Country

3 comments:

Peggy said...

These biscuits look perfect! Might have to save these for a sausage and gravy brunch!

Speaking of hominy - I actually made some hominy muffins yesterday (because I'm one of those weird people that adores hominy!) and they turned out pretty tasty!

Mindy said...

I love making biscuits! And I love to have cornbread with chili, but I haven't found a recipe that I've loved yet. Maybe I'll try these next time around.

(And I giggled aloud in my office when I read the "whoopass" line...) :-)

Anonymous said...

I just made these, and they are wonderful! Not dry, perfect texture, wonderful by themselves or with honey on them...