8.20.2011

Cheese Crostini with Anchovy Herb Butter


Let it be known that I hate fish.  I despise the taste of fish, the look of fish with their beady eyes and hard mouths and scales and fins, the smell of fish which makes me gag, the fact that they swim and don't have arms and legs, the nasty water they live in, the tiny bones, and the open gaping mouths.  Don't get me wrong - I think some of them are beautiful and I always feel sorry for them when they have a big hook crammed in their bleeding mouths.

So why the hell am I writing about a fish recipe?  Because I'm an outside-the-box kinda gal.  Oh, and I have been craving anchovies for years now but never had the balls to actually do anything about it.


I've been told that someone who hates anchovies has only had the slimy pizza topping ones.  I was willing to try a new way of eating them as long as I could do it myself.  I couldn't trust my first (as an adult) anchovy experience to be handled by anyone else.  I had to make sure I knew each and every component that went into this food.


Can I say that I was blown away by this appetizer?  I had my doubts but damn, it is good!  The herbs impart a freshness and the cheese is bland enough not to overpower the strong herb and anchovy taste.  Please try this dish, even if you hate fish with a passion like I do.  You'll be pleasantly surprised.



Cheese Crostini with Anchovy Herb Butter
Serves 4 for an appetizer

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
4 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
4 T. Italian flat-leaf parsley
2 t. chopped fresh thyme
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. grated lemon zest
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1/2 baguette, sliced
1 c. grated Provolone

Pre-heat oven to 425*.

Melt the butter in small saucepan over medium heat.  Add the anchovies and stir until they dissolve.  That will take about 3 minutes.  Add the herbs, garlic, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes.

Place baguette slices on a baking sheet.  Spread/brush herb butter over each piece.  Sprinkle with the cheese.  Bake until the cheese is melted and bread edges are golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.


Recipe adapted from Giada De Laurentis's recipe

1 comment:

KINGRPG said...

It is delicious and very healthy. I like to eat the herbs and I love this recipe.