8.14.2011

Tomato Pie


Last night, I met a fantastic group of women.  My friend A hosted a slumber party for 6 of her friends.  There were no kids and no men.  And lots of booze.  There was a massage therapist there to work out the kinks and a pool to laze by.  And piña coladas and martinis and margaritas.  Each of us contributed to the meal - a baked potato bar with homemade garden salsa and other fixin's, fresh salad with home-grown tomatoes and hot peppers, luscious desserts, and plenty of alcohol. Have I mentioned that already??



I opted to bring a tomato pie as I have an abundance of the fruit staring me in the face.  It was a hit. In fact, the slice in the photos was the last man standing.  We women - all mothers, all wives, and all who have seen their fair share of tragedy, ate until we could burst.  And then we drank some more.

A big-ass storm came through and interrupted our poolside chatting, but after it left the area, we were given a little gift in the form of a double rainbow.  The lower rainbow got super bright so I had to photograph it.


Tomato Pie is a great way to use up extra tomatoes from the garden or the ones you buy from the old lady at the end of her driveway selling them for $1 a pound. Either way, because tomato is the star ingredient here, don't buy some shitty supermarket tomatoes that are spotty pink on the outside and mealy and flavorless on the inside.  Heirlooms are the best, however I realize they are hard to find.

You could take a spin on the recipe below and change it up a bit to suit your tastes. Instead of cheddar, use Monterey Jack and add some minced jalapeños for a southwestern kick.  Or use shredded mozzarella and fresh basil for an Italian style pie.

The women I laughed and cried with last night (J, A, K, L, T, and of course A) are truly remarkable ladies and I'm happy to have shared time with them.



Tomato Pie
Serves 8
1 hr plus cooling time

2 pie dough rounds (I used 1 package Pillsbury)
2 lbs. tomatoes, cored and sliced 1/4" thick
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. mayonnaise
4 t. cornstarch
1-1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar
4 scallions, sliced thin

Roll dough into 12-inch circles.  I rolled the Pillsbury ones out slightly as well.  Place one in a 9-inch pie dish and cover with plastic wrap.  Place the second dough round on plastic wrap and cover with plastic on top.  Refrigerate both for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, place sliced tomatoes on a paper towel lined baking sheet.  Sprinkle with salt and let drain for 30 minutes.  Blot with paper towels until they look pretty dry.

With oven rack on lowest position, place a baking sheet in the oven and heat to 450*.  The hot baking sheet will help seal and brown the bottom crust.

Mix mayo, cornstarch, and 1 cup of cheese.  Sprinkle remaining 1/2-cup cheese on bottom of dough in the pie plate.  Layer 1/3 of the tomatoes on top of the cheese.  Spread half the mayo cheese mixture on top of the tomatoes and top with half the scallions.  Add another 1/3 of tomatoes and top with the mayo cheese mixture, then the rest of the scallions.  Place the remaining tomatoes on top.

Place the other dough round on top of the pie, trim edges, fold, and crimp.  Cut 4 ovals in the top of the pie to allow the steam to vent.  Place pie on hot baking sheet.  Bake 10 minutes.  Lower oven temperature to 325* and bake until crust is golden brown, 30 minutes for store-bought dough and 40 minutes for homemade.  Cool for 3 hours on wire rack.  Serve at room temp.


Recipe adapted from Cooks' Country 2009

5 comments:

Rona Roberts said...

Oh, yummmm. This is my first summer to hear much about tomato pie, but I'm hearing it all over. Thank you for the post.

Michelle said...

I've been pondering tomato pies and tarts all week. Great minds...

My McDonald Meal said...

This sounds wonderful! I've heard about tomato pies but have never made one. Think it will be on my list this upcoming weekend! And- glad you took some time for yourself!

Peggy said...

That storm was a bit crazy Saturday, wasn't it? It took us a million detours to get out of the Highlands and onto the highway!

This tomato pie sounds delicious, and just the perfect way to use up our garden's fresh tomato haul =)

Mindy said...

I've seen a lot of tomato pie roaming around the internet this summer. I've been meaning to make one, but haven't gotten around to it. (I'm kind of lazy when it comes to pastry crusts!) I think I'm going to have to break down and do it though--this looks delicious!