7.06.2014

Cheese Straws


Cheese Straws are a very light, tasty, airy, crispy snack that are super easy to throw together. There is, of course, the make-the-dough-from-scratch kind of cheese straws, but I personally don't have time for that right now. The versions below are a corner-cutting way to the nirvana of cheese straws without much hassle. (And minimal dishes to wash after). I've included recipes for two kinds:  Cheddar Straws and Italian Straws.

I want to take this opportunity to apologize for my, um, hiatus from blogging as of late. I won't bore you with too many details, but life's been hella busy since the first of the year. Some things are great and some things, not so much. First and foremost, and most importantly, my sweet, darling 19-month old niece was diagnosed with a life-threatening disease called Aplastic Anemia, which has resulted in multiple transfusions, and incredibly large amount of medicines and drugs and poisons, and a bone marrow transplant. Luckily my nephew was a match so he's our hero right now. I never realized how important a bone marrow transplant could be to save the life of a child until this happened to our family. I immediately registered for the Bone Marrow Registry, and I wish you would too. Seriously. It's good karma.


Our son will be starting college next year (prepare to see me in a straight jacket in a padded room when that happens) so all my spare time at home has been doing research and making phone calls. I don't know how anyone does this while working full time. Holy shit. Thus, I've been working more in order continue to fund the college account, which has, unfortunately, much less than the average cost of one day at any damn school he's interested in. You need books? Sorry 'bout cha. Need a place to live? Your car is pretty cozy.  Tuition? Mom's gonna start hooking.


Sadly, our 19-month old dog Vera died suddenly. She literally collapsed and died instantly in front of my daughter, husband, and me. It has taken a toll on the overall happiness level in our family because puppies don't just die, do they? The kids are having a really hard time, but our friends and family have been super supportive and kind during this.


A few weeks ago, I was asked to be a judge at the Winchester Beer Cheese Festival. That was a blast! They had games for the kids, loads of food trucks, and lots and lots of beer cheese. I was a judge in the commercial beer cheese competition, and there are some damn good beer cheeses out there. My personal favorite was Steve's Ready to Dip, followed closely by Ashby's. Both were outstanding. Two perks to being a judge? I got to sit in the mayor's chair while judging and I consumed an ice-cold Ale-8 after judging.

Enough about me.  How 'bout a snack?


Cheese Straws
Makes 32

1 pkg. puff pastry (both sheets)
1 egg

Cheddar Straws:
Chili powder
Cheddar cheese - shredded, about 1 cup

Italian Straws:
Garlic powder
Italian seasoning
Mozzarella cheese - shredded, about 3/4 cup
Parmesan cheese - shredded, about 1/4 cup

Thaw puff pastry on the counter for about an hour or overnight in the fridge.  Preheat oven to 375°.  Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, beat egg with 1 tablespoon water.

On a lightly floured surface, roll one sheet of puff pastry into a 10x12 rectangle.  Brush with egg wash.  Sprinkle seasoning over egg washed surface.  Sprinkle cheese.  Using rolling pin, gently press cheese into dough.

Using a pizza wheel, cut dough into 16 - 12" strips.  Twist and place 8 on each sheet pan, gently pressing ends onto sheet pan to prevent uncurling.

Bake for about 18 minutes.  Cool on sheet pan. Repeat with second batch.



2 comments:

Mavis said...

Welcome back. Sadly to hear what happened to Vera...hope she RIP.

Shannon Marie said...

Thank you, Mavis! I am hoping life slows down enough to get back to this little blog more regularly.